Relatively many people in our region make a living in the health care sector and related businesses. They work as medical staff in hospitals, research institutes and companies in the LSH-sector:
High quality health related education programs on every level, for example:
- Radboud University Nijmegen: materials/ nanoscience for medical applications, organic chemistry and bio-informatics
- University Medical Center: Medicine, Dentistry, Biomedical Sciences
- Wageningen University: Food Technology, Nutrition & Health, BioMedical Research.
- University of Twente: Technical Medical education program.
- Universities of Professional Education Arnhem-Nijmegen, Windesheim and Saxion (programs in the field of Nursery, Speech Therapy and Physiotherapy) and the HAN Biocentre (where companies, education and research facilities come together in the field of molecular life sciences).
Large scale research capacity is available with many well known research institutes conducting fundamental and applied research in a wide range of fields.
- BioMedical Technological Institute (BMTI)
- Centre for Molecular and Biomolecular Informatics (CMBI)
- Roessingh Research & Development (RRD): rehabilitation center
- The Nijmegen Center for Molecular Life Sciences (NCMLS)
- MESA+: largest institute of NanoTechnology in the Netherlands
- F.C. Donders Center for Cognitive Neuro-Imaging
- Laboratory for Molecular Medicine (LMM)
- TWIN, Twente Institute for Neuromodulation
- The European Association of Urology
- University Medical Centre St Radboud: top level knowledge center for academic medical study and health care. Specialties incl. oncology, immunology, neurosciences, genetic and metabolic disorders.
- The Medisch Spectrum Twente: large non-academic hospital in the Netherlands including a famous thorax center.
- St. Maartenskliniek: specialties of the clinic: orthopedic surgery, rehabilitation and rheumatology.
- Isala Klinieken / Sophia Hospital: largest non-academic hospital in the Netherlands including a top-clinical education program.
- Canisius-Wilhelmina Ziekenhuis (CWZ): large general hospital located in Nijmegen. CWZ is specialized in neuro surgery and is one of the collaborative Topclinical medical teaching hospitals in the Netherlands.
Companies and institutes have formed public-private networks and collaborations in our region. The most important network is Health Valley. The Health Valley network supports innovation and business development in health related business. Activities consist of matchmaking, project development and marketing. The focus of Health Valley is on monitoring, molecular diagnostics & medicine, medical devices, regenerative medicine & rehabilitation technology, E-health, Sport, Food, Health.
Many well known companies are located in the East Netherlands, such as Abbott, New Brunswick Scientific, Medimmune, Cardinal Health, Novartis Pharma and Synthon.